Physiotherapy is a healthcare profession dedicated to working with people to indentify and maximise their body’s movement and function. Physiotherapists at OHP Kelowna working with people who are affected with disability or illness and injury.Physiotherapy employs a number of treatment approaches such as exercise, education and advice as well as manual therapy. Physiotherapists also help people manage pain as well as prevent diseases, enabling people to remain independent and mobile for as long as possible.
One can benefit from physiotherapy at any time in your life – whether you are suffering from a sudden injury or recurring back pain or even in managing any long-term medical condition. Athletes also greatly benefit from physiotherapy when preparing for a sporting event. Our physiotherapists can also help you prevent further injury by listening to your needs and working with you to plan the most appropriate treatment for your condition, including setting goals and treatment outcomes.
Physiotherapists are fully trained to assess your condition, diagnose the problem, and help you understand what’s wrong. Your treatment plan will take into account your lifestyle, activities, and general health.The following are common treatment methods physiotherapists may use:
- exercise programs to improve mobility and strengthen muscles
- joint manipulation and mobilisation to reduce pain and stiffness
- muscle re-education to improve control
- airway clearance techniques and breathing exercises
- soft tissue mobilisation (massage)
- assistance with use of aids, splints, crutches, walking sticks and wheelchairs